This recipe was adapted from thesweetnerd.com
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 extra large egg yolk
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Coffee Flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Decorative sparkle sugar for rolling
- Fruit preserves for filling (we used blackberry and apricot!)
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Bowl 1: Combine wet ingredients – egg, yolk, heavy cream, and vanilla in a bowl.
Bowl 2: Combine dry ingredients – flour, cocoa, and salts.
Mixer: Add the wet ingredients on low speed (it will look like cottage cheese for a second) and then scrape down mixer. Turn on medium speed and mix until combined. Now, add the dry ingredients all at once. Be sure to scrape down the sides after 10 seconds or so, and keep mixing until the dough is combined. Don’t over mix. You just want it to come together. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
Remove chilled dough. Scoop balls with a portion scoop for uniform size. Use your hands to roll into perfect balls. Next, roll dough balls in the sparkle sugar, making sure they are completely coated. Last, make an indentation using the end of a cork for the filling. Place on baking sheet and bake at 350F for 8 -10 minutes or until done. Cool before assembly.